Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Jenna's Birth Story

It is funny how time changes memories.  How things and times and events that shape us seem to get diluted over the years.  Inspired by fellow mommy bloggers,  I have learned that I must document all things that are important to me.  Of all the experiences in my life, the birth of my children is the most precious.  Birth stories fascinate me.  You could listen to 100 different women speak of the way their children entered the world, and you would hear 100 completely different experiences.  The main reason I started this blog was to have a virtual diary of my life.  I find it almost impossible to not document the birth experience of all my children.  I will start with Miss May as she is the most recent and work back words so, here goes.
Miss Jenna's pregnancy like the others was completely unexpected and unplanned.  We were using birth control and planned on having another baby the following year.  Like the others, I think I was only a few days into my pregnancy and I knew that I was pregnant.  I took the test before my expected period and sure enough, 2 pink lines.  I remember feeling so incredibly   nervous to tell John.  I guess I was thinking he was going to be disappointed.  He had just started his own business and our insurance did not cover maternity.  I thought he might be overwhelmed.  I could not have been more wrong.  He was very excited and supportive and I was relieved .  We told our families on fathers day by signing the cards from John, Kim, Kyle, Noah, Colton and Baby?  My mother-in-law had to read the card a couple of times before she got it (to cute) and my parents were excited (mom cried).  We held off on telling the boys for a couple of weeks as we wanted to get past "that point" in case something happened.  After we had seen the Dr., and everything checked out, we told the boys one night after dinner.  Noah absolutely freaked out.  He left the table screaming and crying.  I found out later that he thought if we were getting a "new" baby, we were going to have to get rid one of them. (poor Noah).  Once he realized that this baby would be a new addition, he embraced the thought and was very excited.  My pregnancy was actually very easy.  I gained the least amount of weight with her and besides the painful spider veins and swollen legs, I felt pretty good.  I remember thinking how glad I was that I would never have to experience that again.  Now, I miss it and it makes me sad that I was so eager to be done with it.  At our 20 week ultrasound, we elected to not find out the sex of our new arrival.  Although, her heartbeat was always above 160 and I knew in my heart this baby was a girl.  She was quite a mover and I think she had dance parties in my belly between the hours of 12 a.m. and 5 a.m.  I am not sure how I functioned on so little sleep with 3 other children but I did.  At my 40 week appointment, which was  a Wednesday, I was only dilated to 2 and  30% effaced.  I was due the following sunday (feb 13) and my Dr. scheduled my induction for the following tuesday morning.  At this point I was glad to have an actual eviction date and was hoping my little peanut would stay put until induction day.  The sunday before induction (my actual due day), Noah came down with Scarlet fever and I sat in urgent care with him for 4 hours.  I was so afraid my water was going to break sitting in the med center.  I slept on the couch monday night, dreaming of holding my new baby the next day.  Tuesday morning arrived and baby was still snug as a bug, my mom came over around 6 a.m. to watch the boys.  John and I were off and on our way to the hospital by 7 a.m. It easy really quite an amazing feeling to leave your home of 3 children knowing you will return with the newest member of our family in a couple of days.  We checked in to the hospital, got settled into our room and they started my IV of petocin at 8 a.m.  While placing the fetal monitor belts on my belly, there was some concern.  The nurses could only locate the heart beat very high under my right breast.  The intern ordered an ultra sound and they discovered that baby was very high and had not descend at all. They continued with the petocin and my contractions were starting to get very strong. I requested the epidural right away (as I was not going the natural way again you will have to read Colton's birth story for the joy of the drug free birth).  Resting comfortable, another ultrasound reveled that little one was not moving down yet I was progressing in my labor.  The interns did not want to break my water as they were afraid that my placenta would present before the baby and the oxygen would be cut off requiring an immediate c-section.  I was getting a little scared.  My pulse-ox monitor keep beeping indicating my levels were low and they pushed more fluids to counter act this.  John was calm and relaxed proving to be a great support system.  After what seemed like a long day, my Dr. arrived at 5 p.m. and broke my water.  All was fine, yet baby still had not moved.  By 6:30, I felt like I was ready to push.  Dr. said baby was still high and he did not think I could I move the little one from -3 to +3 that quick, but I could try.  At 7:00 I gave it a try and sure enough, I moved her.  I pushed 2 more times.  I remember looking at my stomach in shock at its complete distortion.  The Dr. was quite surprised as I was crowning.  One more push and it was over.  I remember the room was silent.  I sat up to look as my sweet baby GIRL was staring into my eyes.  I remember being so shocked that I even asked "Is it really a girl?"  The Dr. confirmed and stated "Wow, I can not believe how big she is!"  I wish I could go back to that moment and relive it 100 times over.  John was so proud and relieved, (this whole process is taxing on him).  My sweet Jenna May was born February 15, 2011 at 7:10 p.m..  Weighing in at 10lbs 22 inches.  I was not able to hold her right away as they needed to suction her out.  She was mighty beat up and bruised as she was moved from so high and delivered in 4 pushes.  She was healthy and beautiful.  We were complete.  3 healthy boys and now a beautiful princess.  I spent the next few hours just admiring her.  Counting her fingers and toes.  Kissing her cheeks, running my lips across her soft little head.  She was perfect.  The boys and grandparents came up to see us that night.  Our parents were beyond excited that we had a girl.  Colton was absolutely convinced that she was a boy and we were going to name "him" hiccup.  After our visitors left, it was late, I was hungry and longed for a shower.  John ran and got me a my favorite chicken salad from Wendy's.  Baby girl never left our room, I just could not let her out of my sight.  The next day was filled with more visitors and friends.  By Thursday morning, I was ready to go home.  I needed the comfort of my house and I missed my boys.  So, we checked out, packed up and headed for home.  There is no greater joy in the world than carrying your new healthy, happy baby into your home.  Jenna was such an amazing infant.  She nursed perfectly from the beginning she slept fantastic and was happy and easy going.  I simply can not imagine one breath with out her in it.  Thank you God for trusting us with her perfect soul, I am so grateful for the opportunity to be her mother!
A few things about Miss May:
Daddy picked the name Jenna.  Our other choices were Bryn, Emma, and Ella
May was moms choice after the month I was born
She took to nursing right away and was good at it
She loved to be swaddled when she slept
She hated binkys
Her baby acne was pretty bad, but still a perfect girl
She had a minor heart murmur
She was jaundice and bruised due to her "traumatic" quick birth
Her pupils were completely blood shot for the first 3 weeks of life
She was a good sleeper from day 1.  I would bring her into bed with me, nurse and snuggle all night.
She failed her hearing test in the hospital and at a recheck after birth, got tubes at 6 months after 6 ear    infections and now all is good. I was so afraid for her when I thought she might not be able to hear.
Jenna, you stole my heart with your first breath.  My dreams for you are endless.  I want nothing more in life than for you to be happy and healthy.  I pray for you to grow into an independent, strong and beautiful young women who knows her worth.  I thank God for you a million times a day.

This is the front of Jenna's birth announcement 
The back of her birth announcement 
Mommy waiting for Jenna's arrival 


Still waiting 

Yes you read that right a whopping 10lbs!

She is here perfect in every way 

Mommy holding her baby girl for the 1st time 

I love this picture, our 1st moments together 

Proud Mommy 

Proud Daddy 

Grandma Sher Bear meeting her new granddaughter for the 1st time 

The boys visiting with mommy and their new sister 

Kyle is excited to see his new baby sister 

Grandma Stegenga holding Jenna for the 1st time  

Our 1st family picture 

My 1st born and my new baby girl 



Proud big brother Kyle 

Uncle James 

Aunt Alex

Daddy and baby girl napping 

Forever changed as a father of a daughter 

Papa Stegenga and Jenna 

Noah loving on his baby girl 


Uncle Jordan, Aunt Tiffany and Paige 

Pretty girl 

Sleeping soundly in her bouncy that Grandma Sher bought her


Baby hands...the best 


Big yawn

Perfection 


10 perfect toes 


Beautiful even with her blood shot eyes 

Perfect peaches 

Daddy's hand 

Mommy's hand 
  I love you my sweet May May!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...