Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Career

Gratitude Day 6:
When I was in grade school, we were asked to write a paper about what we wanted to be when we grow up.  Most kids wanted to be Dr's, or Teachers, or Lawyers, things like that.  I will never forget my teachers response when I told her, "I want to be a Mom!"  She told me, "no, you have to pick a career, a real job."  I remember thinking a "real" job?  What a strange thing to say to an impressionable child.  To me, even at that age being a Mom was more than a job or a career, it was a life long commitment, and in my opinion the most important "job" on the planet.  Anyway, I think I wrote a paper about being a veterinarian even though that was something I never had any intention of ever doing.  Many years later, in careers class, we had to select a few potential jobs that we might want to pursue.  Again, I found myself in this same situation instructed that I had to pick a "real" job. (really?)   When it came time to fill out applications for collage, I was even more confused.  I was suppose to go to some big fancy school, spend 1000's of dollars to earn a degree in some field that I did not really care about.   Even as a very small child my motherly instincts were strong and I always knew my calling in life was to be a mother.  I did go to collage for 3 years and worked many jobs during that time.  I never completed collage as I got pregnant for my Kyle and dropped out.  Now I know that you might be thinking that I am a bit small minded.  I assure you, I am not.  I have many girlfriends and family members that went to collage and have great careers and are still amazing mothers.  I think they are great and I admire them, I have no idea how they do it!  I think if I had to raise my children, maintain our home and work outside the home, I would lose my mind!  It just was not for me.  I believe that all women should be independent and capable of taking care of themselves and I worked many great jobs before I took my "position" as a stay at home mom.  When I met John, I was so blessed because his ideal wife would be a homemaker and primary care giver to his children.  How lucky we are to have found each other.  I do not pass judgement on the women I love that work and mommy, and nor do I think my children will be better adjusted, smarter or kinder than theirs.  It's just what works for us.  Truth is, when their kids are grown and out of the house, they will all still have great jobs, while I will probably be waiting tables. Who knows, maybe I will go back to collage.

So today, I am thankful for my job.  My position as a wife and homemaker, mother to my children and "assistant" to my husband.  I am over worked & underpaid.  Yet so rich in blessings that no amount of money could drag me away from this career.

My heart!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...