Monday, November 7, 2011

Sticks & Bricks

Gratitude Day 7:
What makes a house a home?  Is it the the wall paper, a beautiful floor, pictures and pretty things, or is the family that lives with in its walls, seeking shelter from the world?  I think our home is a living breathing structure that is just as much a part of us, as we are of it.  Let me back up and tell you a little history of our home.  Almost 8 years ago, we discovered our little bungalow.  John and I were dating, he had just graduated from Western Michigan University and was living with his parents.  I was a single Mom living with my parents and raising Kyle.  John decided he was ready to move out on his own and began house hunting.  I helped him locate properties that he might be interested in and we began to go to open houses and pursue private showings with a realtor.  We went thorough many homes, some big and beautiful, some some small and not so nice.  One afternoon while out driving around we came across a little private Dr., that neither of us had ever noticed before.  At the end of the private road was a cute little ranch on nearly 2 acres that sparked our interest.  We contacted the realtor and got a private showing.  I will never forget that day because when we walked into the little ranch home on the private Dr., I fell in love.  I am not sure why. It really was nothing special.  The floors were ugly the kitchen was a mess and the bathroom was way to small.  But, from my first step into the home I knew and felt in my heart this was the place I wanted to raise my family and love my husband. (I was pretty optimistic as we were only dating at this time, I have always been a dreamer.) When we left, I told John how much I loved it, and I think he could see the excitement in my eyes.  Much to my dismay, he told me he hated and this was definitely not the house for him.  I was disappointed and decided I was done helping him look for houses after all, we were only dating. (dreamer disappeared  for a sec, little crabby when I don't get my way.)  A couple of months had gone by and I had all but forgotten about the cute little house on the private dr.  One December night, John came and picked Kyle and I up from my parents house, blind folded me and told me he had a surprise.  Away we went in his truck he drove around and around town (he was trying to through me off).  Eventually, we arrived at our secret destination and I got out of the car, John removed my blind fold, and I was standing in the front yard of the little ranch that I fell in love with a couple of months before.  He had purchased the house and kept it a secret!  What a stinker.  He handed me the keys and we went inside.  It was just as I remembered.  Perfect.  From that day on we started the remodeling and complete overhaul of his new house.   The entire kitchen was ripped out, wall taken down, all rooms were repainted, re carpeted, and stripped down the drywall.  In fact, the only original thing we left untouched was the tile in the laundry room.  It was definitely a labor of love.  After 3 months of day in and day out hard work, John finally moved in.  The bedrooms and big bathroom were finished but the rest of the house.... yikes still needed work.  Anyway, that was almost 8 years ago and I think it is still a work in progress.  John proposed to me in April of 04' (I will tell you that amazing story another time) and married on August of 04'.  Kyle and I moved in the day after the wedding and his house became our home that very day.  I think if our home could talk, oh the stories it would tell.  It sees us at our best, at our worst and all things in between.  It harbors our tears and savors or joys.  I walked through it's doors with 3 new beautiful babies.  The carpet has cushioned many falls and protected the knees of new crawlers.  The wood floor has scratches to bear from match box cars and babies in walkers.  The walls are dented and covered with finger prints.   Handles are missing and a window is cracked.  Our front porch chair  has served as a seat to the world.  Our yard has served as a play ground for my children. We have laid in the grass and stared at the clouds and raked all the leaves and sat under the trees.  Our home is more than sticks and bricks it is our shelter and shield from the world.
Today I am thankful  for our perfect bungalow on the private dr.  It is as much a part of us as we are of it.  I am sure someday we will move on to a new home (p.s. it's way to small), and we will make a new house our home.  It is my prayer that no matter where we are, our home will always be filled with love, a safe place to grow, where my children fell protected and they are encouraged and nurtured.  A place they can return at any age knowing they will be protected from the world.  Thank you God, for our home.

The "master" suite.  Jenna shares our room with us now, so it looks a little different with a crib in it.

Kyle's little palace

Noah and Colton share a room.  I LOVE how close they are and I think they would miss each other terribly if we gave them separate rooms.

These pics are about 2 years old, so the boys no longer have a crib and toddler bed, they moved onto bunk beds .

Probably my most favorite room in the house I LOVE my screen porch!

Many of meals have been made here.

The center of our home, the family room.



This house had zero landscaping when we moved in.  Not one bush, flower, rock or window box.  I just love the front yard now, so warm and inviting.

HOME SWEET HOME, MY RETREAT FROM THE WORLD!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...